Thursday, October 11, 2007

Appreciating warmth

We're warming up in a coffee shop after a cold, wet night camping in West Virginia. We arrived at the campground before dark and set up our tent, planning to drive into the nearby town for some dinner ingredients, but then found out that the park gates get locked at dark. Not wanting to risk being locked out, we opted to make do with the food we had. Thinking we only had a can of black beans, popcorn and some tuna, we joked about initiating a potluck with our camp neighbors in hopes that they'd have some better food options. (There were several other people camping, but we were the only ones crazy enough to use a tent.) But then we found a can of chili, which made a decent meal paired with some stale blueberry bars and popcorn. (We're really glad we brought a camp stove!) We then huddled in our tent and watched "Freaks and Geeks" on my laptop until the battery died before turning in for a long night of huddling for warmth and tossing and turning, attempting to avoid the wet half of my sleeping bag.

I do plan on writing about our NYC experience eventually - our hostel, in particular - because it really deserves a decent post. For now, we'd really better hit the road. We're headed south-ish (toward Kentucky), so hopefully the clouds will clear and the temperature will start to rise again.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, you're in my old neck of the woods! How do you like the Appalachian accents?

Stay warm.

Bethany said...

I didn't know you were from WV! The accents are great - and the scenery is gorgeous in the fall with all the trees changing colors.

Anonymous said...

I'm not from WV but from Southeastern Ohio right along the Ohio river border. I have traveled alot in WV and lived in KY so I know what you mean by the scenery. Love it!

Maggie said...

Culinary magic. I was on the edge of my seat waiting to hear if you'd invented yet another strain of our beloved snack: Tuna Popcorn.